Westview is encouraged at being able to partner with the West Island Palliative Care Centre. This is a new aspect of our church caring for those in the community in a coordinated church initiative. We have a few people from Westview who have been volunteering at the centre for quite some time. A Westview organizing team was formed (Page and Corey Mallett, Ted Sparkes, Richère and Chris Piazza, and Jeff Simunic) who have invited a number of other people to also volunteer. In connecting with Gwen Connors, the Volunteer Program Manager for the centre, we identified six areas in which we are helping the centre:
1. Musicians: A. Providing an hour of weekly coffeehouse style music. B. Every two months providing music as part of a memorial service.
2. Bereavement follow up phone calls to family members.
3. Patient care: Assisting the nursing staff in the care of patients.
4. Patient visitation: Relational support and care of patients and their families.
5. Weekly maintenance assistance of the facility.
6. Spring gardening assistance.
You can speak to any of the organizing team if you want to know more.